New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Connections

When my third child was born, I have a very distinct memory of him. Right after he came out, he was put into my arms while he was still connected to the placenta. I remember looking at him and appreciating that connection with him at the moment. I think I was a little bit awestruck that we were connected so tightly for 9 months. Then it was cut and I felt a little sad that it should happen that way. Yet I have thought about it afterwards. Such a deep connection is miraculous, but it is also miraculous that afterwards these children are let go to breathe and eat on their own.

Small steps like these are taken throughout their life. I remember having a hard time when I weaned my kids also. Watching them take their first steps, sleeping in a big bed, going off to school: all of these are little miracles. It is a little sad. But after all, I think the real joy comes in watching them become their own-to see who they become and to watch them find joy within their own lives.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.