New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Another shade of meaning

If you've been keeping up with this blog, you probably know that I have chosen to have my children naturally and that that has brought some meaning to my labors and birth. I work on a mother/baby unit at the hospita,l though, where the majority of women choose otherwise. These past two weeks, I have really been trying to help meet the needs of all women, no mater what their choices and have really been gratified in doing so. I have found that when I have done this, my experience as a nurse is enhanced. I also feel like the mothers I take care of find a greater satisfaction in the care I give.

I still believe that a natural birth is probably the best way, but I acknowledge that others may feel different and embrace the fact that meaning in childbirth and motherhood can be found in many different ways. I think it is best that while opinions may differ, we respect the choices of others and continue to try our best to serve each other. By doing this we can bring a greater degree of happiness to our own lives as well as to others.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.