New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Monday, June 9, 2008

Overcoming

The other day, I had about had it. I had five little ones crowded around me begging me for things, a sink full of dishes, laundry, and a house full of tiny little toys all over the place. Very overwhelming day. My stress level just kept building and building. And I'm not sure how to describe my mood, but I really hurt. There was something inside of me that really hurt. I felt pulled down, sad, and unable to cope. It was almost like something had grabbed me and pulled me to the ground in tears. I felt very helpless in the face of this emotion.

As mothers, days like this happen. Normally, I am pretty upbeat and enjoy being with my family. But, there are those days. For whatever reason, we all face those days, I'm sure. As I have thought about this particular day, though, I realized that I have faced pain before. Strange enough, the physical pain I felt during labor, felt similar in intensity to this emotional pain I felt that day. Something clicked with me....I have overcome this pain before....the swell of emotion the exhaustion the utter physical thought of not being able to cope....I have overcome this before. I know that though it is tough, I have the capability of pushing on through the tide.

This has become a wonderful thought to me. Strange as it may seem, it has lifted me up. It has helped me to understand pain and the purpose of pain a little better, even emotional pain. On the days that I struggle I remember that....and I remember in the end I can overcome.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.