New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Monday, November 17, 2008

The spirit of "power, love, and a sound mind"

There is a scripture that has come to my mind often as I have been embarking on this task of overcoming the fear of labor and that is..

“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.(” (2 Tim. 1:6–7.)

I have looked at this is this way...as humans we have the ability to act, to love, and to think and reason. All three of these things are a part of working through our own fear. I've obviously talked about love, mostly because I have felt like that is the most important part. But being able to reason and act on our thoughts is also important. I know that is when I decide on a course of action that I feel less fear.

I find it inspiring to know that we have been endowed with these three abilities to help us overcome any fear. That we have been given the spirit of power, love, and sound mind.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel...HA! we have the SAME blog background (so I know you have good taste! --sorry to contact you this way but I heard from Lorissa (photographer) that you're doing a motherhood series...you may want to see a picture I took ONE SECOND after giving birth to her...please leave a cono at www.KlymyshynDesign.Etsy.com with your contact info. Thanks!!!
Motherhood may drive us nuts but we wouldn't have it any other way!

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.