New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Monday, December 15, 2008

The journey of labor and birth

"Pregnancy and birth are natural physiological processes that open and move through a woman's body, mind and spirit. Pregnancy and birth are parts of the deeply personal and intimate journey involving every aspect of a woman's being. This journey can be a time of great vulnerability and a time of great empowerment.

As a midwife, I have seen birth in all her unfettered force... have seen, while looking into many a woman's eyes, in the midst of her lucid struggle, the eternal, universal recognition of her own
strength. I have witnessed many a woman shift from "I can't do this" to "I am doing this." I have witnessed brilliant-faced partners awed and transformed while infused and bathed in the glow of the mama's intense birthing energy. I have witnessed contractions, waves, primal rushes,
uterine pulses and mamas moaning, singing, resisting, rocking and rolling right into birthing their babies. I have witnessed babies, wet and warm, born into the welcoming arms of the eagerly awaiting family.

I can imagine no other beauty or grace, aside from mothering, to which I can commit myself. I walk this path with all my heart, with every cell in my body, one baby, one mama, one family at a time."*

I thought that this was a beautiful description of the journey we all take when we choose to bring children into this world. Birth is a transition time, and while this particular quote refers to a more natural birth, any birth could be considered a time of transition and a personal journey if we choose to make it one. So, take heart....this journey can be hard...full of pain, confusion and fear. But because of that it brings us the opportunity to overcome and become. Any thing that is really worth it is hard, but when you look back you realize how much it has meant to you.

I do realize that not all births are happy and wonderful:) The next time I post, I want to talk about c-sections and one woman's journey to find meaning in her births by c-section.

*Brenda Frankenfeld is a homebirthing, homeschooling, homeloving mother of
three lovely children, Cypress (15 years), Estrella (8 years) and Oliver (5
years), and partner with Mikey (42 years), four core inspirations on her
midwifery path. She is a proud student of Ancient Art Midwifery Institute
and currently offering her midwifery services to families in Northeast
Kansas.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.