New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Soul searching

Some of the times I remember the most during my labors, is when I would start to feel lost, and my husband would look at me and pull me back in. I know he's told me he doesn't remember those times:). For some reason, though, they have always meant a lot to me. That and when a nurse I had one time, held my hand. It's funny the little things you remember. It's moments like these that I cherish about birth. I wonder if I would have thought much about it had I not gone through labor. It also makes me wonder if we were a little bit more aware of others and their own personal pain, could a simple hug or nod of encouragement mean something to them also. If we looked in their eyes would we see their need.....

As mothers, I wonder if we could do this more with our own spouses and children. How often do we take the time to search their souls to see what they truly need.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.