New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I can't do it anymore"

With all of my births I have thought that I just can't do this anymore, or "I'm never having anymore kids". (I have five:)) I have said how tired I am, how I just want it to stop. "Isn't there someway to make this stop?" The problem is, at this point in labor, you can't be reasoned with. Working through the contractions takes a lot out of you. But afterwards, I am quite happy that I didn't get any pain medication.

It was interesting to be on the other side with a laboring a patient I had. By the end of her labor I was sure she would absolutely never go without an epidural again. So I asked her...and low and behold, she told me how grateful she was for my help, and how she was glad she didn't get the epidural. And she had epidurals with her previous children. It made me pause for a second. There has to be more about how we perceive pain than just the actual sensations. There is also more to how we deal with it.

Here's a brief link to a site that talks about some of the things to expect during transition(one of the hardest parts of labor):http://nursingbirth.com/2009/02/08/top-ten-things-women-saydo-during-labor-and-trust-me…-they-are-totally-normal/

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.