New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Beautiful births

I just needed to share what a beautiful birth I attended last night, and how much I appreciated the midwife that attended it. This midwife worked to make the mother's birth so peaceful. This particular woman did have an epidural, but midwifes are able to work just as well with those who choose that also. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is except there was a spirit of calm, quite, peacefulness, and sacredness of the event that was taking place. The baby slipped quietly into this world, without tears or episiotomies. No one was raising their voices to count...there was just a mom and baby making it's way into this world. It was then placed lovingly on her belly skin to skin while the midwife waited for the cord to stop pulsating. What a gentle transition it was. I loved it because not only was the midwife attending to the safety of the mom and baby, but she was also attending to the spiritual/emotional needs of these two. These are the births I live for.

3 comments:

Cherylyn said...

How wonderful! I can't help but think what a blessing it must have been for the mother and baby to have you as their nurse to contribute to their beautiful, calm, peaceful birth. I know it was a blessing for you as well :)

Tiffany Wacaser said...

I just gave birth 5 months ago. And it was an extremely calm, peaceful birth. I didn't feel anxious or stressed. My doctor and nurse were both calm.

I did have an epidural which didn't work very well, but I was prepared for the pain and was able to cope with strength and calmness.

When my baby was born, it was not difficult. He slid out of my body. When they placed him on my belly, he didn't even cry, just looked at me with the most solemn little expression. I'll never forget that.

It was a beautiful experience and I am profoundly grateful for it.

Rachel said...

swedemom-thanks for sharing, I love hearing when moms have peaceful birth experiences. Congratulations!!

Cherylyn-It is such a blessing for me:) It reminds me why I do this in the first place.

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.