New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Guardians of Ga'Hoole

"I am a Guardian of Ga'Hoole. From this night on I dedicate my life to the protection of owlkind. I shall not swerve in my duty. I shall support my brother and sister Guardians in times of battle and in times of peace. I am the eyes in the night, the sience within the wind. I am the talons through the fire, the shield that guards the innocent. I shall seek to wear no crown, nor win any glory. And all these things I do swear upon my honor as a Guardian of Ga'Hoole until my days on this earth cease to be. This be my vow. This be my life. By Glaux I do swear."

I just recently watch a movie called the Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. I liked it, but I was struck by the fact that we have so many movies that talk about loyalty, service , and guardianship in terms of war. This movie was no different. The above quote is actually from the book, but they had a similar one in the movie. It made me think about how our roles as mothers goes so often unnoticed, and yet our roles are just as important as the vows made by heroes or warriors.

I have dedicated my life to protecting others. I cannot not swerve in my duties, or I will fail a good many people. My children need unwavering support. Each day as they come home from school ,they need my love and attention. I must see what others cannot...I must look for a light in the dark ,even when I feel the dark around me. I must gain knowledge and understanding. I must bear my own "talons" when the need is great. I shield and guard and protect the innocent. Most of what I do goes unnoticed. There will never be great epics written about the tears I wipe away or the hearts I help to strengthen, but I see what I accomplish each day in the lives of my children.

I see the battles I've won when my girl chooses to wipe away the tears of her brother ,or helps someone in need. I see the shields I have built when my boy tromps off to school with a smile after a hard day before. I see the light I've instilled when I watch my kids walk home from school laughing and playing with each other. I see the talons I've sharpened when my boy stands up for a friend. My vows as a mother has produced the greatest good there could ever be....seeing my children love and be loved. I think that's better than winning a real war.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.