New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The strength that is ours

"MY MOM IS THE STRONGEST HUMAN BEING THAT I KNOW!"

This was written on a blog from a friend of mine. Her mom is currently being treated for cancer. It made me think of all the strong moms I've been privileged to know in my life. I find it interesting that throughout history women have been portrayed as the weaker sex. I suppose strength wise they are but that is such a small part of strength. Mothers in particular have an incredible amount of strength when it comes to defending and protecting their families. I don't even know how many times my own mother has reared up to protect her own:)

I remember a lady I took care of as she was having her baby. Afterwards she looked at her baby and her husband and in reverent tones declared..."look what we have done". And another beautiful family had begun. I think of my grandma as she was dying. She was so calm and peaceful and giving encouragement to all those around her. My dad said she knew how to die. Their is a story in my religion of a woman whose oxen became sick as she was crossing the plains. They refused to move anymore. But she would not give up hope. She knelt...said a prayer...and pulled those oxen to their feet to continue on.

I've seen women who are terrified of c-sections choose to have a necessary one. I've seen women choose to work through labor without drugs because they feel that is what is best for their child. Among my own friends I've seen great trials overcome. Tears split and heartaches felt. Yet they endure. Not just endure...they flourish. They serve. They bring hope. They kiss away tears. And bring joy to one of the most cherished of all...a little child. I honor the women in my life...I honor my friends. I honor those who experience heartache disease or pain. For these are my examples that I build my own life upon. We are all stronger than we think.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You are pretty Amazing and Strong Rachel. Your patience, humility and cheerfulness have always been an inspiration to me. Love you!

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.