New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Destressing-How To Find Calm During Motherhood

I was having a hard day the other day. Things just seemed like there was too much going on and too much for me to do.  Having kids around at this time is really hard.  It's just adds to feeling of life pressing down on me.  This particular day, my kids had been asking me to go to the park.  It was the first time it had been nice in awhile.  While I didn't really feel like it, I figured my two youngest could use some good outdoor time, so off we went.

It was nice to just sit and relax and not worry about anything else.  But I started doing something at this time that really helped me feel calm and at peace.  As I was watching my kids, I saw how they would walk around the perimeter of the park.  Like on a balance beam, they would put one foot in front of the other.  I started thinking about how much joy kids find in little things like that, and I thought I'd try it too.

So, I slipped off my flip flops and started very deliberately walking along the perimeter of the playground with my boys.  I stepped one foot in front of the other, trying to keep my balance and my body straight.  I found my mind calming as I deliberately focused on the act of balancing.  It reminded me a little bit of deep breathing.  And I thought, "you know, kids have it right. They know how to find joy.  We just all need to find a little balance in our lives".

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.