New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Friday, June 24, 2011

Postpartum exercises...my back ache story

I had to post this link, because it made me crack up:)

http://www.katysays.com/2011/05/12/abcs-baby-version/

Check it out.  But...since we're on the topic of exercise and body mechanics, I thought I'd share my post baby exercise story with you.

You can imagine what having five babies does to a woman's body, I'm sure.  The one thing that always got to me, was my aching back.  I just could not seem to get it feeling like it used to.  So, I finally decided to do something about it.  I checked out a bunch of pilotes dvd's from the library and went to town.  I figured that if I couldn't fix my back now, I may never be able to.  And it worked.  I didn't even really notice it(it was very gradual), until my husband told me one day that I hadn't complained about my back in a long time.  I sat and thought about that, and he was right.  My lower back felt better than it had in a long time.  So while my abs are still not as flat as they once used to be, at least my back feels better.

Now onto my new back adventure.  About a month ago, I woke up one morning with horrible neck pain and the inability to move it to one side.  I have absolutely no idea why this happened.  I went to the chiropractor and that made me feel like my neck was at least on straight, but I still was in a lot of pain.  After a couple more trips to the chiropractor, I decided I needed to work on the muscles in my upper back too.  So that's where I'm at now. Plus I've been doing some exercises from the above mentioned link.  I'll have to get back to you on how well it's all working.  So far my neck is a ton better, but I still have one small spot on my shoulder blade that is just annoying.

Here's my exercise routine nowadays:  Stretching and deep breathing(I make sure to work on my hamstrings and spine to help with alignment).  I do 20 push-ups, then hold the push up position for 30-60 sec.  I'll do some sit ups and pilotes routine including working out my back muscles.  Then I'll really work my shoulders and upper arms.  My bottom and leg muscles get worked out if I have time.  All in all, I have felt great!  I have liked this mostly because I feel like I am able to take care of my self.  For me, this is not about looks(I still have a tire tummy:)), but it's about doing what I need to to help my body work the way it's supposed to.

Most of my routine is broken up with spills, and chores, and hugs, and laughs...so it doesn't happen all at one time.  So now I'm off to go do some push-ups.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.