New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Doula Training

I am planning on offering Doula training through my business New Beginnings Childbirth Services.  For now I am working out how I want to do the training, so for those that are interested, you can get a 9-month course for only $50.  It is all web based, with the idea of adding webinars to facilitate learning.  I am also available by e-mail for questions and for turning in assignments.  

Content for course I am offering:

1. Intro into the nursing process and how that applies to labor.

2. Intro into Maslow's Hierarchy of needs.

3. Normal Pysiologic labor.

4. Stress response

5. Pain

6. Doula's Interventions(for lack of a better word)

7. Common Medical interventions and how to help when they are needed

8. Initial interview with client

9. Communicating with the medical world

10. Debriefing

I'm not sure of all the course work yet, but there will be some. I will base most of course work off of case studies and then using what is called a care plan in the nursing world. As new ideas are introduced, there will be case studies to look at and provide a written care plan. The text I will be using will be The Nurturing Touch at Birth by Paulina Perez. I will probably have a few others too. There will also be readings to do online.

Because I want to ensure that the doula's I train continue to represent my business well, I will be requiring re-certification every two years.  You will be required to attend conferences/classes/reading that will keep you up to date on your knowledge base.  I will offer some courses to assist with this.

My Background:
I've been a nurse since 2004 and have worked in all women and children fields including labor and delivery/NICU/postpartum. I am also a certified doula. My goals as a doula is to attend to women's mental, emotional, physiological, and spiritual well being and to help facilitate decision making during the labor process.

If anyone is interested please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.