New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How to get your cervix to dilate

Another search term for the week: "how to get your cervix to dilate from a 1 to a 4"

I have no clue what situation this person was in who searched for this, but the more I watch birthing women, the more I am convinced that the magic key to all questions about cervical dilation is.....PATIENCE :)

I know, I know.  Not the answer you wanted, but it really is true.  Research is backing up that answer too.  Just do a search on my blog for dilation, and you'll find some.  There are things that we can do, both medically and non-traditional, that helps the cervix dilate.  You can find some of those on my blog too, as well as my newsletter, but the key is just having patience with yourself and your baby.  If you do you will get more sleep, be more prepared for labor really gets going, psychologically, you will fell better about the whole process(forcing your body to do something it's not ready to do is a bit of a roller coaster mentally), and your baby is less likely to have heart rate problems.  That said, there are of course always medical indications, but that's a whole other ball game.  

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.