New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The wonderful world of doula training

I thought I'd just give you an update on what I am learning and doing with the doula courses.  This has now become my focus, so forgive my absence:)

This has been such a fun journey for me.  I love seeing the passion people bring to this topic and I love being able to help add to that passion.  Most of all, I love being able to think that I am helping to make a little bit of a difference in a birthing women's life somewhere, because the more people I can train, the more there will be out there to help support and care for women during this time of life.

Right now, I am working on creating a way to help doula's use a theory that will help in their ability to assess and then provide care according to their assessment.  It is a great way to help new doula's in particular utilize the new knowledge they are gaining, as well as help a woman work through their birth plan.  It's called the nursing process.  While it was made for nursing students, I find it works just as well for those in the doula world.  As a part of this, I have been listing just about any sort of thing a doula does for a mom to help with her needs.  This has been amazing to see also because the list just keeps growing.

I also am refining my beginning unit on what a doula is and the benefits of having a doula.  That is also pretty amazing to see.  There is so much research out there on how a doula can benefit a mom.  You can check out my first course for free.  It describes all those great benefits.  Feel free to share with anyone.  The course is still in it's infancy, but it's getting better with everyone who takes it, so it's still only $50 for certification.

And, I have now been able to take on a few postpartum doula clients.  So, that's what's up.  I'll try and keep up more here on this blog, but most of my research energy is going into my classes right now.  I will still try and post any great tidbits I find though here for you guys.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.