New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Monday, December 10, 2007

Battle wounds


After the birth of my first child, I remember sitting in my tub, sore, tired, and unsure of my role as a new mother. I was so sore at that time that is was very difficult for me to get up, and I just started crying. I felt a little like my body had betrayed me. I had big bright red stretch marks and a flabby tummy. Not to mention the fact that my body was not exactly what society portrayed as beautiful. My body had changed so much that it sort of felt out of place on me.

Now after my fifth, I find the same sort of thing happening. I have changed so many times, it is strange to think that there was ever a time when my stomach didn't look like a flat tire around my waste. But now, I look at these things as trophy of motherhood. My scars were made from bringing a life here. My stretch marks and stomach brought forth an angel. My muscles, now gone, once held a child. These wounds were all made as I nurtured a new soul about to come forth. As a soldier is honored for his sacrifice and pains, so I honor my own battle wounds and accept my own sacrifice as something worthy and honorable.
My own battle wounds not only remind me of my own sacrifice for life, but of my mothers, and her mothers before her. In a chain unbroken, I honor the lives of the women who sacrifice to bring forth a new generation. Not only in giving birth, but in loving and caring and raising those who would then love and care for other children.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.