New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Storytelling

Storytelling is a big part of being human. I think it helps us digest and comprehend the events in our lives. Giving birth is no exception. I recently started working on the Mother/Baby unit in the hospital and have been contemplating how to help them. I think that if one of my nurses asked me what they could do for me I would have told them to get me out of the hospital as quickly as possible. But as I think a little deeper I think I really would have liked someone to sit down and listen to me tell my story. In a way this blog is my way of doing that.

It is interesting that one of the things we do as mothers is tell stories. Of course there is the formal storytelling where we sit down and read books to our children, but there are other ways of telling stories. As my children get older I find myself telling them of antics when they were younger and they love hearing that. We talk to them about what times where like when we were younger. I laugh when I hear myself tell my daughter that "when I was your age we didn't have cell phones or i-pods". I talk quite a bit with other mothers about my dilemmas and how they are similar or different from theirs. We live and breathe the stories around us. It is a way of connected to those around us and finding meaning within our own lives.

Labor is just a part of those stories. For some good, for others bad. But it is a very potent story. And I believe one that should be shared. Not to put down others choices or experiences, but as a way to connect to others lives-; way to find meaning in the shared experience of bringing to our lives a beautiful child.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.