New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Monday, December 14, 2009

To Create

I've actually been wanting to write a blog on this for awhile. The opportunity came when I was contacted by this company . They asked me to write a blog for them, which I am very happy to do since art and creating is something that I think can very much be a part of pregnancy, labor and birth.

If you've noticed, I have a video called "Create" at the top of my blog. It was not specifically meant for birth. But, me being who I am, I immediately thought of becoming a mom and the role we play in creating. It speaks of the beauty of our bodies and our souls...and how we can have a great capacity to create. When I saw this, I thought of us as women and how we create little bodies inside of us, that grow and become as we nourish them for the first nine months of their lives.

I also think of the connection we create with them while we wait for them to come. So often, we become anxious for the time to come when we are able to hold them in our arms, and don't cherish the early opportunities to create this connection. I remember one time specifically singing to my first little one when I was still pregnant. I remember how that helped me to feel connected to her in a way that nothing else would have. There are so many ways to form that connection and I think it is so important to do so. The arts offer a great way for us to do this. Music, painting, writing...all these things offer us a way to create that connection before our babies even come.

I would encourage all to reach out and find ways, as a mother, to create.

I have also added new art to the gallery, so take a look.

No comments:

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.