New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Why can't the hospital be more like a birth center?

I was thinking about my first two birth experiences in Tucson Arizona and how much I truly loved them. It's funny, but I think it's because of those experiences, that I have come to appreciate and, yes, even look forward to labor and birth. Here's a few pictures of where I had my first two:
http://www.tucsonbirthcenter.org/why.htm

I love the idea of birth centers. A place that is women/family centered, yet equipped to provide quick medical care. This particular birth center was just across the street from the hospital. Had I needed to, my CNM could come with me to the hospital and continued my care there, or I would have been given care by a physician that worked with her.

Now there are times at the hospital, where I have felt like "there, now that was a great birth center birth":) But so often that is not the case. So much of what happens centers around the needs of the institution and staff/doctors needs. So much of how we move women through, centers around what is the easiest way for the hospital and staff. To be sure, it is a difficult job to handle 1200+ births a months. I don't envy my nurse managers job, but how come our hospitals can't be more like a birth center?

There's a great blog here

I loved this midwifes suggestions. It's not really about natural vs epidural either. It's about working with the women to find the best plan that fits for her.....

1 comment:

Cherylyn said...

I agree completely. What I don't understand sometimes is when women are risked out of the birth center. Is that because they choose an epidural or may need a cesarean? Those are the only reasons I can see that would necessitate a change in plans. I would LOVE to see more birthing centers working with hospitals to provide the optimal care for laboring women. In the same vein, I would love to see OB's and midwives working together for the same goals, including home birth midwives (which in some states would be CNM's as well as CPM's, or even direct entry midwives). I don't know if it will ever happen in this country, but we can always dream :)

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.