New Beginnings Doula Training

New Beginnings Doula Training
Courses for doulas and online childbirth education

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Forgiveness Revisited

A pretty interesting thing happened after I wrote that last post. The bitterness of that experience left....So often the birth experience can be one filled with bitterness. I have heard it many women's stories as well as my own. It is such a vulnerable, yet strength inducing experience that it would be hard not to acknowledge the emotions that come with it. And part of that is the hurt we may feel when we are hurt or disappointed. Yet I think we often let these feelings engulf us. It truely felt good to recognize the hurt that I felt, and yet also acknowledge the good in people and the good intentions of most around us. It also helped to feel the desire to create a better experience for others.

There is a quote I recently read by Brigham Young he said, "there are two courses of action to follow when one is bitten by a rattlesnake. One may, in anger, fear, or vengefulness, pursue the creature and kill it. Or he may make full haste to get the venom out of his system.” He said, “If we pursue the latter course we will likely survive, but if we attempt to follow the former, we may not be around long enough to finish it." I feel like that venom has been removed.

Not only in birth can we find this struggle, but as our children grow, being able to forgive is key to being a mother. How often are we hurt or frustrated with what happens in our family? And often do we let it canker? This certainly was an interesting experience and lesson for me. I think because of this, I may find new ways to forgive my own children and family and gather in a greater love for those whom I am a part of.

2 comments:

Handsfullmom said...

Thank you for sharing that, Rachel. I didn't realize you'd had a difficult birth experience.

Rachel said...

I think anyone can have a difficult birth experience if it doesn't go exactly how you expect it to. That's why being able to forgive and move on truly should be a part of it all:)

Birth is a Journey: Does it have to be life changing?


  • One woman might have to climb on an overfilled boat, risking her life and nearly dying as she escapes over the ocean to come to this land. This experience could certainly be life altering. It may very well color the rest of her life, positively or negatively. (I overcame this amazing struggle and here I am triumphant! OR Holy crap, that was SO hard I don’t know if I can go on! By the way, neither response is “right”. No one would judge the woman with the 2nd response.)
  • One woman may buy an airplane ticket, sit on a comfortable 747 and fly to America with a nice smooth flight and landing. She is happy to be in America. Those welcoming her are glad she is here safe and sound. She may only travel by plane 2-4 times in her life, so it is pretty memorable. But the journey itself probably wouldn’t be life changing; it would simply be a journey.
  • One woman may learn to fly an ultra-light plane to lead a flock of geese into America teaching them to migrate. This experience could certainly be empowering and life altering.